Right to information act – Learn online
Right to Information Act 2005 mandates timely response to citizen requests for government information. It is an initiative taken byDepartment of Personnel and Training, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions to provide a– RTI PortalGateway to the citizens for quick search of information on the details of first Appellate Authorities,PIOs etc. amongst others, besides access to RTI related information / disclosures published on the web by various Public Authorities under the government of India as well as the State Governments.
RTI Act confers right to access to information held by a Public Authority on all Citizens. In case,you have been denied the access to information you may file Appeal / Complaint before the Central Information Commission (CIC).
When to file a Complaint
18 (1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, it shall be the duty of the Central Information Commission or State Information Commission, as the case may be, to receive and inquire into a complaint from any person, -
- who has been unable to submit a request to a Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, either by reason that no such officer has been appointed under this Act, or because the Central Assistant Public Information Officer or State Assistant Public Information Officer, as the case may be, has refused to accept his or her application for information or appeal under this Act for forwarding the same to the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer or senior officer specified in sub-section (1) of section 19 or the Central Information Commission or the State Information Commission, as the case may be;
- who has been refused access to any information requested under this Act;
- who has not been given a response to a request for information or access to information within the time limit specified under this Act;
- who has been required to pay an amount of fee which he or she considers unreasonable;
- who believes that he or she has been given incomplete, misleading or false information under this Act; and
- in respect of any other matter relating to requesting or obtaining access to records under this Act.
SOURCES OF INFORMATION
CHECK YOUR KNOWLEDGE ON RTI